Friday, July 8, 2011

More NYC Realizations...

Central Park

Yesterday, I ventured to Central Park in the morning -- I had nothing else to do and it was gorgeous out, so I hopped on a subway uptown and wandered.

A few more things I have gathered:
Central Park
  1. People don't make eye contact on the subway. In fact, most still wear their sunglasses.
  2. When it rains, the city turns into an abyss of black umbrellas and dirty puddles, but life and the hustle and bustle still go on.
  3. I can now almost stomach the smell of the polish sausages on the street corners. Almost.
Central Park was beautiful. I was looking for Sheep's Meadow (didn't find it) or anything recognizable...but I must have entered from a different end of the park than I have previously, for nothing was familiar at all (which is cool I guess).

Then I went grocery shopping at the Food Emporium about a block from my apartment. For forty dollars, I got milk, cereal, blueberries, yogurt, applesauce, bread and peanut butter. So expensive, but at least I didn't have to walk far with my groceries!

Today was pretty laid back as well. I slept in, then walked around the stores in Union Square and looked at the menu at Max Brenners, where I plan on taking Austen for a meal when he visits. Then tonight was the Hyperlocal News Conclave -- a gathering of a smattering of professionals and interns. I admit, I was intimidated to be surrounded by so many successful journalists from the New York Times, the Sacramento Bee, etc...but it was a pretty awesome experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment