Wednesday, July 6, 2011

And it Begins!

Washington Sq. Park
 Today was a LONG day. But a good one!

I got my first real feel of my internship and what I'll be doing in the LES -- which is writing stories that are solely focused on that neighborhood and its rich, diverse culture.

My professor took us on a walking tour down to the Tenement Museum, which was really an experience. It's old immigrant housing in apartment tenements. The museum educator told us about families that had come through and lived in these 325 sq. foot apartments for $30 a month, which is comparable to $2,500 per month today -- crazy right? We grabbed some croissants at the Essex Market, an old-style booth marketplace that is kind of a combination of hipster-chic (the new inhabitants of the neighborhood) and the long-standing immigrant population.
Washington Sq. Park

Washington Sq. Park
 After the walking tour and the Tenement, we checked out the NYU Bobst library for a presentation about the history of the LES -- which was full of punk, graffiti and rebellion in the 1960s-1980s. It really gave us an overall history of the area, from the Tenement Museum inhabitants (1890s-1920s) to the more modern and tangible decades.

Finally at 4:30, after almost six hours of trekking across the city, my two roommates and I walked down W. 4th St. to an awesome little Mexican place to eat an early dinner. They had $6 margaritas and the best enchiladas I've ever eaten! Definitely worth a return trip.

After dinner was the Hyperlocal Orientation -- which was essentially useless. They didn't tell us anything that our professor hadn't and just kind of showed us the equipment rooms, etc.

I cannot WAIT for bed tonight -- I am literally exhausted from all the walking and sunshine. Tomorrow I want to grocery shop and head out and explore some more because I think this first week is going to be my least-stressful in terms of work.
Kids swimming in the fountain @ Washington Sq. Park

No comments:

Post a Comment