Tuesday, July 5, 2011

In the Summer, In the City

Union Square
Today was my first day on my own. I figured out a few things pretty damn quickly:

  1. Greenpeace volunteers talk to you even if you have your earbuds in. They actually force you into speaking with them.
  2. Some people will literally plow into you if don't move over. 
  3. I do NOT possess the (awesome) inherent sense of when to cross the street that locals have. 
  4. Google maps + HopStop = My new life.
  5. I am going to be broke. PB&J's here I come (If I can ever be patient enough to stand in the hour-long Trader Joe's check-out line...)
  6. I need to have my camera on me at all times.
So far I think I'm managing well! I live in Union Square in an NYU dorm that is fortunate enough to have AC. It's on the cusp of the Granmercy area, which is really beautiful. It is definitely hard to readjust to living in a dorm, however.

I've already dropped my NYU class (Journalism as Literature) because the professor scared the hell out of me and basically told us that if we had an internship in addition to her class, we were going to fail. So! No more class. My real life starts tomorrow when I head down to Cooper Square to hear about my internship with the Local East Village.

Austen comes to visit in a few weeks and I already have an iPhone note full of things for us to do and places for us to see. Next weekend I'm planning on a solo subway ride up to Central Park for some sunshine and hopefully going out in the Lower East Side with Kelsey and Ash. I really think I'm going to love it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment