Friday, July 15, 2011

Concrete Jungle where Dreams are Made

The best hair cut of my LIFE. 
I can officially say that I know my way around (at least on the Lower East Side and East Village...) and have mastered the subway. I've been asked for directions several times and (squeee!) been able to help on each occasion. This makes me feel less like a tourist (thank god, I hate that feeling).

Things I've purchased since Em and my parents left (I'm trying to be good!):
-2 pairs of feather earrings
-A strappy pair of nude heels (low enough to wear during the day)
-A purple circle scarf, summery
-A floppy hat
-2 v-necks from Urban
-A pair of gently used DVF sunglasses (from this awesome store Tokyo 7 on the LES)
-2 books from a street fair
-Some new make-up (I found lipstick...look at me all grown up)
-A hair cut at Dlala, a chic salon in Alphabet City
-FOOD. and a 6-pack of beer.

Inside Tokyo 7
Eating is my biggest expense by FAR -- grocery store trips run me 40-50 bucks for bare essentials. I've been eating peanut butter or turkey sandwiches for at least one meal a day and cereal for another...sometimes eating out for dinner but usually just eating another sandwich and I still feel like there's money pouring out of my pocket. I have been able to, however, score cheap fruit from street vendors on 14th.

B&H Dairy
Last Wednesday, my class went to this adorable little kosher Jewish dairy restaurant on 2nd ave: B & H Dairy ... it was surprisingly good (I've never had a kosher meal...) and even better, CHEAP. I'm really trying to save some splurge money for when Austen comes.

My favorite little discovery so far has been the Mud Truck. It's so awesome and serves the best iced vanilla latte I've ever had. It parks on Astor Place...conveniently on my way to the NYU journalism school every Wednesday for "class meetings and publication". Also, one of my roommates, Erica (from Ohio) has been teaching me how to shop thrift stores...she's amazing at it and has a really cool (and cost-friendly) wardrobe. She helped me find my glasses at Tokyo 7.

SO GOOD
Oh! I've also seen Kelsey, finally! We met at Blockheads on 33rd and 3rd for Mexican food and $4.50 frozen vodka pink lemonades. Mmmmm

Tomorrow I'm covering the Stephen Marley concert at Irving Plaza for the Local East, and I'm so excited! Finally, the real work coming! I'm also writing a review of the Jewish deli AND a magic show on Monday night.

I'll try to update with some more pictures, soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment